What is DigiLocker
Digilocker is a Digital Locker available as a website or mobile app, to store all our legal documents like Aadhar card, Driving License, Educational Documents etc. This facility eliminates the use of physical documents, and the risk associated in carrying them and losing or even thefts.
One just have to scan the documents and upload them in PDF, JPEG or PNG format and access them anywhere and anytime you want. There is also an option of e-signing the documents, which works as a self attestation.
The Registrar, Income Tax department can push the documents directly into your Digilocker account.
Departments like UIDAI, Road Transport, Income Tax, CBSE, and various departments of state and central ministry are registered with Digilocker. There are almost 1.35 crores people registered with Digilocker and use it for PAN cards, mark-sheets, caste certificates, ration cards etc.
This facility also makes it easier to validate the authenticity of the documents as they are used directly by the registered users.
The following can be summarised as the main functionality of Digilocker :
Issuer: Departments issuing e-documents to an individual in a standard format and making them available electronically like CBSE, Registrar Office, Income Tax department etc.
Requester: Department which requests secure access to a particular e-document such as University, Passport Office, Regional Transport Office, etc.
Resident: Individual who uses the Digilocker service based on Aadhaar number.
How to Create Digilocker Account?
Creating a Digi-locker account doesn’t take much time and it is easy process. Here is the step by step process for Digi-locker registration:-
- Visit the official website https://digilocker.gov.in/.
- Click on sign up.
- Enter your mobile number and click on “Continue”.
- You will receive an OTP on your mobile.
- Enter the OTP and click “Verify”.
- Enter your Username and Password.
- Next verify your Aadhar number by “Use OTP or Use Fingerprint”.
- If you select “Use OTP”, then enter your Aadhar number and click on “Submit”.
- An OTP will be sent to your Aadhar registered mobile number, enter the OTP and click on Validate OTP button.
- Once your OTP is validated, Digilocker registration is done.
- If you choose “Use Fingerprint” option, then print thumb with fingerprint device.
- If your finger prints are validated, then registration is successful.
- Creating a Digilocker account can also be done if you don’t have an Aadhar number.
For registering without Aadhar Number follow these steps:-
- Visit the website https://digilocker.gov.in/
- Enter the mobile number and click on “Continue”.
- Once you receive the OTP, enter the OTP and click on verify button.
- After verification, set your Username and Password.
- After this, an option of “Dont have an Aadhar? Continue Here”.
- Once you click on it, you are directly logged in to your Digi-locker account.
Uses of Digilocker
Digital Locker is an amazing idea to save all your documents at one place and also helps in making a large impact on e-governance.
Usage of digilocker has lots of benefits like, the registration is very easy anyone can do it just by sitting at home on their computer or on their Android phone. It gives an easy access to your documents, physical documents take delay the work as the turnaround time is more for submitting the documents, processing and approvals.
Through Digilocker, this turnaround time is reduced and you can submit documents instantly. Digilocker reduces risk of forgeries and frauds.
Most importantly it is free of cost to access the digilocker and avail its benefits.
Is Digilocker Safe ?
Many people are uncertain about the use of Digilocker and hesitate if it is safe or not. Well, there is no doubt in such manner as it is completely safe to use it. Digilockers tend to have well designed encryption systems that keeps the data and files safe.
Since you are using digilocker through a unique user id an password, or through your Aadhar number, your documents are safe and cannot be accessed or tampered by anyone else.
The system is designed in such a way that the session terminates automatically, is extended activity is detected. The application security audit has been obtained by a recognized audit agency.
But one should be always careful, before downloading the app, as there may be a fake app and these may cause security issues, as you are uploading very important documents and a fake app may misuse the documents. The app is available only for Android users as of now. There fore before downloading the app make sure it is from the genuine developer which is “MeitY”, Government of India. If there is any other name kindly do not download it.
Digital Locker is one of the initiatives of Digital India Program, it minimizes the use of physical documents and enables sharing of documents across agencies. It gives a secure access to government issued documents through web and mobiles apps.
An individual can access the documents anytime from anywhere with ease. It ensures privacy and authenticity of documents. You can always delete or add more documents as per your choice, but the issued documents like E-Aadhar card, driving license etc pulled by an individual cannot be deleted.